Thanks to its three polar patterns, its unique -10dB cut and +10dB boost function and its striking design, Sontronics Orpheus is a must-have for practically any studio or live application and many users call it the best room mic they’ve ever heard!
The Orpheus boasts extremely low self-noise and this coupled with its unmistakable presence and defined clarity, especially in the higher frequencies, allows you to record the subtlest of instruments or voices without the need to edit afterwards.
A lot of time and effort was spent honing the Orpheus body as well as its capsule and electronics, to ensure that the resulting mic could be hugely flexible for studio work as well as live recording.
Its highly sensitive 35mm dual-diaphragm capsule is suspended in its own special mount, almost floating in that large, spherical basket, which itself allows Orpheus to soak up every detail of the space it’s recording in. Orpheus’s body is cast from zinc alloy, which gives a very low resonance, helping to keep the signal tight and accurate.
Since Orpheus was introduced (it formed part of Sontronics’ initial range of mics for our launch back in 2005), it has become a favorite with live sound engineers for drum overheads (when used in pairs) and has also become extremely popular in the voiceover community, thanks to the fact that it delivers crisp, classy results on male and female spoken word.
The three polar patterns also mean that Orpheus is fantastically versatile when it comes to recording groups and ensembles (in omni mode), for use in mid-side and other experimental applications (in figure-of-eight mode) or even for foley and sound effects work.
• Acoustic guitar
• Guitar amps (especially when used in tandem with a ribbon mic)
• Sung and spoken vocals
• Choir & backing vocals
• Solo & ensemble strings
• Percussion & drumkit overhead, live or in the studio (especially in pairs)
• Room & ambient recording
• Foley & sound effects
- Condenser mic with 3 polar patterns: cardioid, omni, figure-of-eight
- Clean, clear, open sound
- Super-defined in high frequencies
- Favorite with voiceover artists
- Polar patterns: Omnidirectional, cardioid, figure-of-eight
- Pad: -10dB cut, 0dB, +10dB boost
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 20kHz
- Sensitivity: -20mV/Pa -32dB +/-2dB (0dB = 1V/Pa @ 1,000Hz)
- Impedance: <=200 Ohms
- Power: Phantom power 48V required
- Connector: 3-pin XLR
- Dimensions: 8 x 3.3 x 3.3″ (204 x 86 x 86mm)
- Weight: 31.5 oz (894g)