Designed from the ground up, the new Sigma 2 is hand-made in our Sontronics HQ and employs our own unique circuitry, Britsh-made electronics, including a premium-quality custom-wound transformer (made exclusively for us in our home town of Poole), precision-cut and moulded British stainless steel mesh, and CNC-engineered metal internal and external parts.
Sigma 2’s circuitry incorporates RFI (radio frequency interference) filters that ensure that Sigma 2’s signal remains interference-free and makes the microphone even more suited to live use than before. Ours are the only ribbon mics in the world to boast this feature!
Sigma 2 has extremely high sensitivity and incredibly low self-noise making it ideal for capturing vocals, speech, solo woodwind, stringed instruments and guitar amps, presenting an exceptionally detailed, accurate, natural sound.
Utilising the same super-sensitive ribbon motor as the original, Sigma 2 offers stunning clarity and definition in the top end but now also boasts richer mid and low tones.
A pair of Sigma 2 (either spaced separately or in X-Y configuratio) can be used for extremely effective overhead and room miking, upright or grand piano, string quartet and other ensembles.
Sigma 2, as with any ribbon microphone, should be used with care as its ribbon element is very delicate. However, with sensible placement and careful handling, SIGMA 2 will give you incredible results time and time again. For more detailed instructions on using and caring for your SIGMA 2 or servicing your ribbon element, please see our User Guide here.
Sigma 2 is supplied with its unique-style shockmount in a sturdy, foam-padded ABS flightcase, which will keep your mic safely stored between sessions or when transported from one venue to another.
• acoustic guitar
• guitar amps (use with care!)
• solo strings & woodwind
• in pairs for overhead & room miking
- Phantom-powered stereo ribbon microphone
- Made in the UK
- Two ribbon motors fixed in X-Y Blumlein formation
- Incredibly open, natural sound
- Ideal for studio or live use
- Polar pattern: Figure-of-eight
- Frequency response: 20Hz – 15kHz
- Sensitivity: 18mV/Pa -33dB +/-1.5dB (0dB = 1V/Pa @ 1,000Hz)
- Impedance: <=150 Ohms
- Equivalent noise level: 10dB (A-weighted)
- Max SPL: 125dB (for 0.5% THD @ 1kHz)
- Power: Phantom power 48V required
- Connector: 3-pin XLR
- Dimensions: 6.4 x 1.9 x 1.2″ (164 x 50 x 32mm)
- Weight: 14.8 oz (421g)
- 29.6 oz (841g) with shockmount